I know a lot of people come here looking for this extension. It no longer works because NYT changed the way they handle user article count. But you can still get around this problem.
How to Go Around This Without A Plugin!
Whenever you reach your monthly article limit, just reset your cache and app data in your browser.
In chrome you can do that the following way:
1. Close all NYT tabs or windows. It won’t work if any NYT related content is open.
2. Go to Tools > Settings > Clear Cache and Browsing Data.
3. Select “Empty the cache” and “Delete cookies and other site and plug-in data”. I suggest selecting from “the beginning of time” too, just to be safe.
4. Click “Clear Browsing Data”.
5. Close your browser and re-open it. If this doesn’t work, try again!
The Extension (that no longer works):
I don’t know about you, but it’s pretty annoying not being able to read NYT as much as you want… 10 articles a month? Really? …
Being a broke graduate student, I did what any other smart student would do… I created a Chrome Extension to bypass the PayWall! Hooray!
Use it if you like!
If this link doesn’t work try downloading the file directly by putting this in your url box:
What it does?
This extension basically sniffs out NYT links and rewrites the url in order to trick the site into delivering the page. It’s actually pretty simple.
How to Install this?
- Go to your Extensions Page (Just type in: chrome://extensions/ in your url box)
- Unzip the file.
- Drag and Drop the .crx file into the Extensions page.
Here are some links on how to do it:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTHZlmAbFV4 (View after 1:00)
Email me at: jorge.silva at thejsj.com if you have any problems or find any bugs…